Plastic dry verge or mortared verge


I have a house with two gable ends. I have noticed that the mortar is starting to come away from the tiles.  I cannot decide whether to have it all re-pointed or go for plastic dry verges. 

Your advice would be most appreciated.

Paulurk, Roofing 8th March 2011


You are better off going for the plastic dry verges. The job will look a lot neater as there are different colours to choose from, they hold the tiles in place a lot better than just a verge with mortar. Once the tiles become loose the wind can easily get underneath them where the plastic dry verge actually caps over the tiles so stops them moving or lifting.

The dry verge system is more expensive but you will probably end up paying more in repairing and maintaining a wet mortared verge over a longer period of time.

This entry was posted in Some of your DIY questions answered and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>