What is needed to make a cellar habitable?

Our cellar appears to have been half-converted by previous owners – some of the back walls have a black coating on them, radiators have been fitted and electrical points are down there. I’m just wondering what it would cost to finish the job – there’s approx 6’3” floor to ceiling height in there – we’re not bothered about headroom as would just like to use it as a study. The floors are concrete, and there is some yellow fungus-like mold growing on some of the walls. We don’t have problems with flooding and no big problems with damp (it just smells a bit musty). Previous owners carpeted it – before we had a new DPC for the house six years ago so not sure how much of the smell is just absorbed into the carpet. We would probably need a window well, or I guess we could install an exit point at the top of the basement stairs if we put a firedoor on the doorway to the kitchen. Just curious as to how much work would be involved/rough costs as we’re not sure if it’s worth taking the idea any further! Thanks for any help you can give us!
Ytherupaxim -20th Feb, 2011 Damp Proofing
Its a very tricky question to answer as the cost could vary dramatically as there is habitable as in being able to use the room comfortably and then habitable in the eyes of a building inspector.

For it to be habitable it would need to go through building control and be inspected by building inspector during the renovation.

The head height may be an issue for it to be “habitable” this would need to be discussed with building control.

There is then the issue of the electrics are they upto scratch do they conform to building regs

The floor would need to have a damp proof membrane applied which would mean it would need to be raised which again is going to effect the head room.

It would need some form of insulation on the walls and ceiling.

The fungus on the walls would associate some form of damp either in the walls or humidity of the air. (The fungus itself could cause some form of health risk)

The black coating on the wall could be some sort of bitumin type tanking membrane to prevent damp.

If the room is going to be habitable or not i would still expect you are going to be paying a couple of thousand pounds.

This entry was posted in Some of your DIY questions answered and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>